The first Greeks known to have come to Mobile probably arrived in the mid to late 1880's. following a pattern typical throughout the United States, the few Greeks who settled in Mobile attracted others from their hometowns, who came to join their "patroti" (people who come from the same village or island). In Mobile many early settlers came from Kastelorizo, Chios, Kalamata, Andros, Patmos, Samos, Crete, and many other regions.
On January 26, 1912, 36 members of the Greek community gathered for a meeting with Archimandrite Joachim Georgiou, the Priest from Pensacola presiding. It was decided to establish a community for the purpose of helping each other using the name 'Greek Orthodox Brotherhood of the Annunciation'.
On August 15, 1915 a lot on Broad and Charleston Streets was purchased. The "Brotherhood" was officially changed to "Community". Plans for a church building were in progress. Additional adjacent lots were purchased. In 1926 Jason Malbis offered the community a lot 170 x 216 feet for the sole purpose of building a Church, a school and house for the Priest. The donation was accepted and Mr. Malbis declared a great benefactor.
In spite of this decision, in the General Assembly meeting of May 28, 1927 it was voted to purchase the "First Christian" church at the corner of Government and Dearborn streets for services of the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church.
With more and more land acquisitions in the late 50's, a building fund was started and soon followed by the ground breaking ceremony on March 27, 1960 at our present location, 50 S. Ann Street. Construction was completed in 1961. Today the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church membership is over 800 and Father Elias Stevens is the presiding Priest.
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church